As announced by the Ministry of Health (MOH) on 2 May 2020, as local transmission numbers come down, we can gradually relax our restrictions and selectively resume economic activities. The tripartite partners – the Ministry of Manpower (MOM), the National Trades Union Congress (NTUC) and the Singapore National Employers Federation (SNEF) – are issuing details on Safe Management Measures required of employers which will be allowed to resume their operations.
Employers must establish a system to implement these Safe Management Measures to provide a safe working environment and minimise risks of further outbreaks. These measures must be implemented in a sustainable manner for as long as necessary.
- Implement a detailed monitoring plan to ensure compliance with Safe Management Measures and that issues (e.g. remedy of non-compliance, risk mitigation) are resolved in a timely manner.
- Appoint Safe Management Officer(s) (SMO) to assist in the implementation, coordination and monitoring of the system of Safe Management Measures at the workplace. For unionised companies, union leaders or WSH officers could be appointed as SMOs. The duties of the Officer(s) include:
- Coordinating implementation of Safe Management Measures: This includes identifying relevant risks, recommending and assisting in implementing measures to mitigate the risks, and communicating the measures to all personnel working in the workplace.
- Conducting inspections and checks: Officer(s) must conduct inspections and checks to ensure compliance at all times. Any non-compliance found during the inspections should be reported and documented.
- Remedying non-compliance: Immediate action should be taken to remedy any non-compliance found during the inspections and checks.
- Keeping records of inspections and checks: Records of the inspections and checks conducted and corrective actions taken must be kept and made available upon request by a Government Inspector.
Assure Safety can help to implement a detailed monitoring plan or a system of Safe Management Measures at your workplace.
Call us now 66849133 for more details!