Fundamentals of the Personal Data Protection Act 2020
SMEs enjoy SkillsFuture Funding and SFEC cover up to 70%+90% of the course fees when they sponsor their employees to attend courses on “Fundamentals of the Personal Data Protection Act 2020.”
If you apply for PDPA as an individual, you will still be eligible for funding and SFC (Skillsfuture Credit) and others.
What is Data Protection?
- The PDPA underlines the significance of safeguarding individuals’ personal information while allowing businesses to gather, use, and disclose personal data for authorized and reasonable purposes.
- A data protection administration is necessary to prevent personal data from being misused and to retain individuals’ faith in companies that handle their data.
- By regulating the movement of personal data between enterprises, the PDPA also intends to strengthen Singapore’s image as a trusted commercial hub.
How Personal Data Protection Act benefits my company?
- The PDPA is designed to encourage business innovation while also guaranteeing that personal data is used responsibly and that consumer interests are protected. This will improve Singapore’s overall economic competitiveness as well as its reputation as a reliable center and preferred destination for global data management and processing services.
- The law clarifies the laws and requirements for enterprises in Singapore that host personal data. This would add to Singapore’s current advantages, such as its geographic location, reliability, and strong telecommunications infrastructure, to provide a favorable environment for the fastgrowing global data management and data processing businesses
What are the increased financial penalties?
- The maximum monetary penalty for breaking the PDPA will be
up to 10% of an organization’s annual turnover in Singapore, or
SGD 1 million, whichever is greater.
Must all organisations appoint a Data Protection Officer?
- All businesses, including sole proprietorships, are required to appoint a Data Protection Officer (DPO) who is responsible for ensuring that the company complies with the PDPA.
- Organizations must also make at least one DPO’s business contact information available to the public. The business contact information could be the company’s general phone number or email address.The DPO may be a person whose main responsibility is data protection or a person with several tasks who takes on this function as one of them. To be clear, it is the organization’s responsibility to comply with the PDPA.
Why Assure Safety?
Course Schedule :
- 26th to 28th September 2022 (Synchronise E-Learning)
- 26th to 28th October 2022 (Synchronise E-Learning)
- 28th to 30th November 2022 (Physical Class)
Course Duration :
23 hours (20 hours training + 3 hours assessment)
Assumed Knowledge and Experience :
- Understands relevant organisational strategies, objectives, culture, policies, processes, and products / services.
- Aware of compliance requirements of the organisation
Course Outline :
On completion of the course, the participant should be able to:
- Identify legislative and regulatory requirements under the PDPA that the organisation has to comply with;
- Communicate key legislative and regulatory requirements under the PDPA and related management systems to relevant stake holders to facilitate compliance;
- Assess the organisation’s internal policies and procedures to ensure compliance;
- Identify and document areas of non-compliance in business activities;
- Assist in review of the organisation’s guidelines / policies for adherence to requirements under the PDPA;
- Assist in the implementation of procedures to ensure adherence to requirements under the PDPA in the day-to-day operations of the organisation; and
- Prepare management report for follow-up action.
Who should attend the course?
Personnel who handle data
Data Protection Officer
Dr. Adam Goh
Adam is an experienced trainer, facilitator and consultant, with excellent professional knowledge in the field of project management – planning & managing projects, intermodal transportation planning and operations, total quality management Logistics and Supply Chain Management. His areas of expertise business process re-engineering, cost reduction and workplace improvement.
He has more than 40 years’ industry experience both in public and private and humanitarian relief sectors in the research and developmental projects include e-Procurement system, B2B and Enterprise Resource Planning System, Management Accounting System and provide humanitarian relief support natural disaster projects and the Singapore contingent to the International Force for East Timor (INTERFET). Adam is the former Founder, Southeast Asia Community, Education, Arts & Culture Exchange and the former Chief Education Technologist, Academy of Certified Professional Practitioners and the former Chief Innovgineer, Acuity Learning International.
He is a Certified Advanced Certificate in Training and Assessment (ACTA) for both Facilitation and On-The-Job Training, a national qualification awarded by Singapore Workforce Skills Authority (WDA). As a Certified Service Professional (WDA) and a Certified Industry Trainer (ITE), he had delivered many Train-the-trainer programme, training workshops, coaching and best practices sharing sessions both locally and overseas. He served as an adjunct professor for six Southeast Asian countries and an appointed Foreign Expert by Chinese to Central China Normal University and Hubei University of Technology, Wuhan, China. Currently, he is also a PDPA trainer for ATO.
Patrick is a PDPC approved trainer for Fundamental PDPA course. Moreover Patrick is not just a trainer, but a practicing consultant having helped various companies comply with the PDPA. His wide experiences across various industries will make your learning relevant and applicable to your organisation.
Patrick is a Certified Management Consultant, ISO 31000 Risk Management Professional, ISO 27001 Information Security Management System Lead Auditor and ISO 27701 Privacy Information Management System Lead Auditor. Over the past 18 years, Patrick has completed consulting for over 60 companies since 2004; both in China and Singapore – SMEs, Yunnan airline, China 120 emergency, Save-the-Children and other NGOs in governance, strategy and corporate culture development.In the meanwhile, Patrick also an approved Partner of Morpheus Labs in Blockchain ideation development and training.
Mark Barnabas is currently an independent consultant providing advisory services and training for Personal Data Protection related
programs including Fundamentals of the Personal Data Protection Act with Approved Training Organisations in Singapore like the Singapore Chinese Chamber of Commerce and NTUC Learning Hub. He speaks actively about privacy and data protection at seminars, conferences and through his YouTube Channel – Data Protection Pal. In his advocacy for responsible and ethical business with good governance, he has invented Data Heist, the first ever card game developed to educate players on cyber hygiene and data protection. He hopes to further develop it into an app and create more learning tools to promote good practices in privacy and data protection. He has been contributing in the education and training field since 2004. Starting out as a private tutor while studying at Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, he became a teacher in a public school, where he taught Chemistry and Physics before progressing to work with Youths at Risks. He left the education service to pursue a certificate in counselling, then formed a company to service students in schools with training in personal development, soft skills and programs for youths-at-risk. He was later headhunted to manage a travel agency to organise adventure experiences and team building for schools and corporations to Malaysia and other parts of South East Asia. With his depth of experience in operations management and risk; having managed a travel agency, events company, training company coupled with his regional experiences having lived and worked in Malaysia, Philippines and China, he will certainly be an asset to his clients in his knowledge, skills and cultural sensitivity.
FAQ on PDPA & Grants
What is PDPA course?
This training is designed to give Data Protection Officers and other individuals in charge of personal data a basic grasp of the PDPA and how to implement data protection policies and processes in their organizations.
What is SkillsFuture Enterprise Credit?
With a one-time $10,000 credit to cover up to 90% of out-ofpocket expenses for supportable enterprise development and workforce transformation programs, the SkillsFuture Enterprise Credit (SFEC) encourages companies to embark on enterprise and workforce transformation initiatives.
Who is eligible for SkillsFuture funding?
If you are a Singapore Citizen or Permanent Resident; you are 21 years old or older and you are enrolled in an SSG-supported certifiable course, you would be eligible for funding.
How do employers know if they have qualified for SFEC?
In writing, ESG has alerted all SFEC-eligible employers. When qualified employers check up to the Business Grants Portal (BGP), SkillsFuture Singapore’s SFEC microsite, they will see the $10,000 credit.